Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Back to School

I have five little monkey's in school this year (I guess Lucas isn't so little). They all have great teachers and my four biological children were all excited to go back to school. I sent them back with mixed feelings, but this year I didn't cry! I came close, but I was able to contain myself. However, I ended up being grouchy for a week after suppressing my emotions. Next time I'll just cry. 

I have had a lot of mixed feelings about life lately, and the same goes for going back to school. We've survived the first month, and we're probably even happier with a schedule, but life is now so busy and I feel like we have so little time as a family.I miss the sounds of the swimming pool, a wet trampoline, children playing in the dark, and all the other wonderful sounds of summer.

I didn't get a picture of Lucas on the first day of school, but this is pretty close.
Lucas is my high schooler, and, like most 15 year olds, he survives school, but does so pretty well. He's a very smart kids, and I understand that school is much harder in Brasil than it is in the US, so I think this is a bit easy for him. He hopes to attend college at MIT, so hopefully we'll see a lot of Lucas in the future. He's a great kid who is fun to be with and good with my kids. He's a good sport and is happy to try anything. He's had a lot of adjustments in my home (like taking care of chickens), but he's learning how to do everything very well. He's so fun to have around!
First day at the Intermediate School.
Madelyn is at the Intermediate school this year for the full-time GATE program. She loves hare class and her teacher and her locker and riding the bus. I'm glad she has found a wonderful little niche, but I think I would like her to be in the elementary school for another year or two. These kids are already trying to grow up so fast! We don't need to help them on their way!
Gabe is in 4th grade! Ahhh!
Gabe has Mrs. Hall, whom Madelyn loved last year. He is excited be the in fourth grade. I'm glad that I still get to walk him to school and that he still lets me kiss him when we get there. He's never embarrassed of me and is so great at showing his love. He has a killer smile, accentuated by several dimples. Gabe is such a sweet and happy kid.
Carter ran into school too fast on the first day, so I had to grab him for photos a few days later. I love his enthusiasm!
Carter is in 1st grade, which means all day school. It's always hard to send them away for so long, but Carter was ready. His teacher is Mrs. Mecham, and I feel like she is an answer to prayers. I'm tearing up just thinking about her! She absolutely loves carter. She loves him when he speaks out of turn, she loves him when he spits on other kids, ,and she loves him when he decides not to come in from recess. She sees how sweet and loving he is, and she is gently teaching him how to follow the rules and find success in a classroom. Everything interaction she has with Carter is laced with love. I am so excited for him to have a grat year, and I think this will help him be more successful in school for years to come Carter loves school so much that he won't miss it for anything. I tried to check him out early to go boating once and to see Amy's new baby another time, but he wouldn't hear of it. He would rather be at school. 

Lately Sammy's smile is more of a grimace. I promise he was happy to go!
Sammy started preschool with Miss Sally this year. Sally is in our ward and Sammy already knows and loves her, so he was very excited to go to her school. He is having a blast and always wants to do homework. Lately I've been printing off homework sheets for him because he just doesn't get enough from Miss Sally! Sammy loves to watch "The Letter Factory" and has now learned all his capital letter names and sounds. It's so fun to hear him walk around the house spouting names and sounds, of looking for certain letters while we're in the car. I've never had a child pick up on letters so quickly. I hate to push anything because I want him to keep loving it, but I hope we can start some small books soon. 

No comments: