Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Napa Valley Ragnar

I love Ragnar! I know it's pathetic, but these races make me so happy. My mom and I drove to San Francisco in mid-September to do another race. We spent a day or two in San Francisco doing all the regular touristy things. My favorite part was exploring all the hidden alleys in near Coit Tower. I felt like I was in Italy (as if I would know) with all the old brick and the abundance of flowers growing on everything. It was really breathtaking.
Coit Tower
We spent a day in Santa Rosa with Dave and Shelbie Moeller and their family. My mom and I walked around a small lake in Santa Rosa where the blackberries grow wild. It was so fun to walk and eat and walk and eat, and we loved driving by the vineyards. So amazing!
Golden Gate Bridge on Friday morning.
Our race started at 6:00 on Friday morning. My mom organized the race, so she picked to run across the Golden Gate Bridge. It was so foggy (as usual) and I expected her to freeze solid halfway across, but she survived, and we loved looking out across the bay and the lit bridge as she ran.
Add caption

My first run was beautiful, through the Shelter Bay area. I loved it, but there were not potties! I was on an established trail and kept thinking I would come across on. At one point I started to panic, but I couldn't even find a bush. The bay extended to my right, and a Mazarati dealership was on my left. After that I figured I should just hold it. I doubt that kind of neighborhood would welcome my pit-stop.

Between my first and second runs my van was rear-ended.  We were afraid to open the trunk for fear it wouldn't close again, so we spent the entire race climbing through and reaching over the back seat. BTW, the door works fine, but we couldn't take that chance!


My second run was amazing, and my favorite part of the race. I ran into and through Sebastapol at sunset. I started out running past vineyards, but then it was just woody, with antique shops every few miles. They looked so charming, I just wanted to stop and browse! The blackberries grew think on the side of the road, and I really wanted to stop and eat a few (but I kept going!). After 6 miles I got to town and ran down Main Street. So charming! I ran past Copperfield's Book Shoppe, a hat shop, some amazing looking restaurants, and so many other great places. Again, I pushed back my curiosity and kept going to the exchange. I really felt like I couldn't have experienced that area in a better way. I was about to cover so much ground and really look around. I car would have flown by everything too quickly. Now that I've seen it all though, I want a few days to explore all the shops!
My final run was at dawn on Saturday morning, through fields and past grazing cows. So peaceful. the fog lay thick around me and I could never tell if I was super warm or super cold.
 
After the race we drove through more wine country. The wineries  are so big and beautiful. I wish we had been able to stop and stroll through the grounds. The gardens looked amazing and I bet they smelled wonderful. I've been to northern California many times, but we have never spent time  in wine country. I want to go back with Mckay for a quiet weekend exploring everything I missed.

I love that my mom and I get to spend so much times together on these trips. She is my best friend, and I don't get to see her much. We have no trouble conversing for 30 hours in the car, and I love it. I am so blessed to have such an amazing mom. 

2 comments:

Raising Helm said...

You two ladies amaze me!!! That sounds so, so, so...glad you got to do it and some day I hope to VISIT:) I love that you two have so much fun together. I can just picture you taking a pit stop next to a fancy car ha ha ha j/k-You are awesome!

Crosland Crew said...

FUN!!! I would be really interested in doing a Ragnar with you guys...let me know when! Love ya lots!