Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Trek Cont'd.

Day 3

Friday was definitely my favorite day. All of us had slept under the stars on Thursday night, so we woke early as the sun was rising. Wyoming sure has beautiful sunrises, sunsets, and fabulous night skies.

We hurried to get ready for our first day of "real" trekking (I know that youth groups will mock us, but please remember that we had many, many children with us). We did a 6 mile trek on Friday, stopping to hear stories from the missionaries at Willow Creek. Here the Willie company hunkered down to get through the blizzard that had the Martin company stranded in Martin's Cove. While they were there the rescuers found them and they were told that, no matter the weather, they had to push forward 17 miles, going over Rocky Ridge in the process, to reach the supply wagons. They rallied themselves for a 27 hour ordeal in which they lost 13 people to the cold and conditions.

Willow Creek is a beautiful place. It was so green and lush, and summer camping was fabulous, but I can't imagine staying there in the winter.
Lance, Seth, and Gabe. Gabe spent much of his time pulling with these boys.

After learning more about the significance and sacredness of the area, we moved ahead to the Women's Pull, which seemed to be the highlight of the trip for many people.  In an effort to remember the strength of the pioneer women, many who lost their husbands and had to continue with their families alone, the women in the group had the opportunity to pull up the hills alone.

First the men left in a group, and then we gathered to hear from Sis. Druann Lacey, our bishop's wife. She spoke of the trials the pioneers endured, and ensured us that our trials and temptations are every bit as real and fierce as theirs were, and that we need strength to withstand. We then sang "As Sisters in Zion," which was written by a handcart pioneer.

I was invited on Trek to provide the music, so I accompanied the sisters in their hymn, and then turned to run up the hill. Another group said that they had someone playing "Come,Come Ye Saints" at the top of the Women's Pull and that it really added to their experience. I had a hard time deciding what to do, be cause I really wanted to do the Women's Pull, but I decided that I would fore-go that experience to hopefully enhance the experience of others.

As I turned to run up the hill, I realized that with all the preparation I had put into Trek, I had missed a vital piece. If I ran up the hill to play, I would have to leave Madelyn behind to do the Women's Pull alone.  I really thought I had figured everything out, but it really hit me when I had to leave her. I know Madelyn thought I was nuts, but I started bawling. I told her I loved her and that I wanted to be with her, but that I had to go. Then I found Sally Baird, who was on my handcart with her two little girls, and asked her to please watch over Madelyn. I kissed Mads and told her that I would meet her at the end, and then I had to go.

Just that was an experience and a half for me. I found it so hard to leave Madelyn behind for 30 min, knowing that she would be well taken care of and have all her needs met. I can't imagine how the early Saints could send their children to Zion one by one, knowing that they may never see their children again. Bodil Mortensen was 10 years old when she was sent with another family. She died a few miles west of where we were, after helping several small children over Rocky Ridge.

So many parents left their homeland with their children, but never saw the Valley because they sacrificed their lives so that their children would live. I can only imagine the anguish of those parents as the kissed their children goodbye, asked a fellow Saint to please watch over their family, and then bore testimony that they would be waiting at the end. What a beautiful sacrifice the gave for their families.

At the top of the Women's Pull, I found a spot along the trail where I could see the women coming and where they would have to pass as they finished their journey. After pulling past me, they walked down a trail lined with the men in our group, who were standing with the hats off held over their hearts. I wish I could have seen it from the sister's perspective, but I loved watching them come up the hill. Their eyes were set on their goal, their faces were wet with perspiration, and they were going to reach the top of that hill! Watching those strong women working together to accomplish such a mountainous task moved me to tears. I know and love so many of them (we were combined with a ward that I only know a bit of), and I know how strong and dedicated they are. It was a privilege to participate in such a moving experience with them.

At the top of the hill families embraced and love was expressed, and it was a wonderful scene to witness. I love families being reunited. We're supposed to be together, aren't we?
Driving from the Willie Sites to Rock Creek. Madelyn just couldn't take it anymore.
After lunch we finished trekking, and then headed to Rock Creek.


 Rock Creek was definately the most fun we had. That afternoon we swam in the river and reveled in a break from the work of the morning. The kids ran and played like they had all the energy in the world and hadn't just pulled 6 miles through sandy trails. Aren't children wonderful?

Mckay and I also enjoyed an evening walk through the sagebrush. I was really worried about Mckay doing trek, because his back has been bothering him. I tried to convince him not to come, but that wasn't going to work. Then I tried to convince him that he didn't need to pull, which just ensured that he pulled more than his fair share. I finally gave up and figured he was big enough to make his own choices.  I realized that no matter his physical condition, Mckay will always be a hard worker and will always give all that he has to others. I'm sure that he would have worked himself to death as a pioneer, literally.  I'm so blessed to have such a sweet, loving, hard-working husband.

Day 4

Saturday morning we walked to the sites at Rock Creek. Here the Willie Company buried the 13 people they lost coming over Rocky Ridge, and then two other who had helped dig the graves after the ordeal. I played music while people read the plaques there, and then was gathered in an amphitheater.
At Rock Creek, near the grave of a handcart pioneer
 The spirit there is so strong. I'm not sure I've felt it so strongly in very many places before. We had a testimony meeting there. We were told the meeting would be 1 1/2 hours, which sounded like a long time to me, but when the meeting was over I could hardly believe that any time had passed. It was so wonderful to bear and share testimony in such a sacred place.

After the meeting we headed home, and we were really looking forward to a shower! As we were pulling our car out, we realized we had a flat!Fortunately, there were a few people left from our ward and the missionaries had a plug kit so that we didn't have to drive home on a spare. We were very blessed to be so well taken care of.



There was much talk in our ward of trek, and that people would never describe it as fun. I disagree. I had fun, and a lot of it. I loved trek and would go again in a heartbeat. I would go today if I could.

1 comment:

Diana said...

I felt the same way when we got back... I would have gone right back! Your account brought me to tears many times, thank you for sharing it. Such an amazing place. So much of their hearts and souls are there... in the soil, in the air. Rocky Ridge is sacred ground.

P.S. I'm a little jealous that YOUR flat tire came while you had lots of Ward members and Missionaries! ;D