My family had the wonderful opportunity to join our ward members on trek this summer. We went on a family trek, rather than a youth trek, which meant fewer miles and easier days, but it also meant people of all ages and capabilities. It was so wonderful to spend time with my two older kids, and learn from families who brought their younger children along. The pioneers didn't only take the strong and willing when they trekked across the plains, but the old and young as well.
![]() |
| Our Family. Jeff and Ramona Daun; Chad, Sally, Conner, Anna, and Molly Baird; The Kings (Gabe missed the photo op, but he was there!) |
Day 1
![]() |
| Lunch in Rawlins. |
![]() |
| Pioneer Children! Mads, Gabe, Conner, Molly, and Anna. What troopers! |
The first day we drove to Martin's Cove, with lunch in Rawlins on the way. Actually, the group first stopped at Independence Rock, but since we forgot to fill up in Rawlins, we had to turn around and go back for gas. We did stop at Independence Rock, but we didn't get much of a visit. We picked up pur carts and headed to camp, about 3 miles away. It was a good pull, and a few hills tried out mettle, but we had a blast, singing most of the way.
Wednesday evening was square dancing, which was so much fun! We only danced for about an hour, but I could have stayed all night. Mads and Gabe stayed after our ward left and danced with another group.
After the sun had gone down, Amanda Jones, a member of our ward, pulled out her hammer dulcimer. She and I were able to play some hymns and songs together and the kids gathered around and sang. It was so fun to hear the music and see the kids enjoying so much. Amanda is so talented, and it was great to have her share with us in such a beautiful way.
![]() |
| Madelyn, Anna, and Molly with an antelope. (You may have to use your imagination, but I promise it was there!We saw so many antelope.) |
Day 2
Thursday we trekked and toured around Martin's Cove. As a family we spent several months learning about the Willie and Martin handcart companies and all that they went through. It was wonderful to then visit the places where they learned and grew so much and they suffered for the gospel.
![]() |
| Heading in to Martin's Cove. Mckay would never let me carry my violin. He's so sweet. |
After a meeting and walking around the Cove, we headed to the Sweetwater River. Our men were given the opportunity to carry us through the river as a memorial to the rescuers who saved so many lives, and ultimately sacrificed their own, by carrying people across the frozen river. We were asked to cross reverently and while we all had fun, it was a very special thing.
Society is always telling us that men and women are the same and that we can do the same things. I happen to enjoy proving my strength and doing things for myself, so I frequently forget what a wonderful blessing it is to have a strong and capable husband and inspired priesthood leaders. It was so touching to watch them express their love to us by physically carrying us through the river. In so many ways they help me through my trials and strengthen me so that I can go a little further.
I was also touched by Mckay carrying Madelyn across the river. He loves her so much and is such a good father. I know that he would do anything for her, and for the rest of us, even if it meant exerting the last amount of strength he had.
Gabe really wanted to carry someone across the river, and while I would have gladly acquiesced, I'm a little too big. He was disappointed that there was no one smaller than him to carry, but He did get to help pull the cart through the water. I hope he will remember how eager he was to serve and how disappointed he was that he couldn't. He's a sweet boy and loves to show his strength. True strength is demonstrated by loving and serving.
![]() |
| Crossing the Sweetwater. Conner, Mckay, Gabe, Chad, and Jeff. |
After a short trek back to the cars we headed to the Willie Company sites. We arrived several hours earlier than anticipated, so we had a lot of time to kill (about 5 hours!). The kids loaded each other into the handcarts and had a blast pulling each other around camp. They played with out a break, going into the night. We finally had to tell them to "come in."
While we were sitting and socializing, a visitor drove into camp. We were all so shocked to see Sister Elaine Dalton. She was vising the sites and wanted to visit the groups who were there for trek as well. It was wonderful to visit with her and her husband. They give so much time for the young women of the church, which is a wonderful boost to the women of the church as well.
I think the missionaries were worried about us sitting in camp so long, so we got to do square dancing for another night. It was extra fun because we had already learned all the dances and didn't have to struggle through at the first.
Thursday night my family slept under the stars. It was a bit cold, but the view was amazing! I love laying under the stars and marveling at all the our Father in Heaven has created for us. He loves us so much and does so much for us.











3 comments:
What an amazing experience. I've told Phillip before that if I had been a pioneer, I would have gone out on the trail for one day and told him that I'd see him on the other side and died. Pioneer treks are not for the faint of heart. You actually make it look kind of fun!
Oh I love love love the pictures! What a great opportunity!
Isn't Trek AMAZING? I loved it, and quickly realized that I would have made a terrible pioneer. Not to say that they all probably would say the same about their great-grandchildren's trials. Awesome pictures too! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment