Tuesday, July 12, 2011

We Hit a Cow

Last time we went to Havasupai I hit a fox on the drive home. The fox was totaled and the car was damaged. We ended up having to repair the radiator and we were stuck overnight in Kingman.
This time we hit a cow. Actually, it was a calf, but it was a large calf. The car is totaled and the cow appeared to be mildly damaged, but I will never forget the image of the beast hitting the bumper and then flying up and past my window. Notice the poop smeared across the side mirror. Apparently we scared the cow as much as it scared us!

We had seen the herd in the road in front of us and Mckay had slowed down accordingly, but the calf we hit was black and was standing in the middle of the road, in the dark. By the time we saw it, it was too late. I am so grateful that Mckay was able to turn the car enough that it flew to the side of us instead of through the windshield. We were on a deserted road with no cell reception and would have been in a real pickle had anyone (besides the cow) been hurt. We feel very blessed!

We were able to make it to the Havasupai parking lot (which was only 7 miles away) and then we figured my mom could help us get home after the fun. However, we were again blessed and the car got us all the way home. We can't open the hood and occasionally pieces of the fender drag along the road, but we drove over 600 miles after hitting the car.

We feel very blessed, but we don't want to push things, which means it's time to go car shopping. Bitter sweet.

Also, I have developed a cow phobia and will never drive that road in the dark again.

4 comments:

Em and Russ said...

Wow! I am so happy you guys are safe! You were truly blessed on that drive home.

Raising Helm said...

Oh my goodness! crazy stuff. thanks for pointing out the poop:) I am happy to hear you are all okay. I think it is a good idea to drive in day light next time. Bitter sweet-enjoy the new wheels!

Meighan said...

I can't believe that happened! Pretty scary and crazy. Glad you're all okay!

Karma said...

I heard you hit a cow but man - that is quite a story!! I can't believe you were able to drive the car all the way home!!