I've been growing a few herbs in my garden, but I don't know much and I'm too lazy to go out and figure out what to grow and how to use my herbs. Last night I went to a class on growing herbs, and I'm so excited! The woman who taught the class also gave us some of her favorite recipes so that we can use what we grow. She served a FABULOUS Lavender Lemonade with dessert, and now I need to plant lavender. I know it sounds weird, but give it a try.
Lavender Lemonade
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. (a generous handful) fresh, or 1 T. dried lavender blossoms stripped from stems
1 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice, strained
Lavender sprigs for garnish
Combine sugar with 2 1/2 c. water in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the lavender blooms to the water, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand at least 20 min.
Strain mixture and discard lavender. Pour infusion into a glass pitcher. Add lemon juice and another 2 1/2 c. water. Stir well and watch the lemonade change color. Pour into glasses half filled with ice cubes or refrigerate until ready to use.
I'm planning on trying more recipes when I have some herbs. If I find some good ones I'll let you know. If you have any, please share.
2 comments:
We have tons of lavender blossoms around here. That sounds interesting- but I want to try it now.
And I'm so sorry about your camera! I would be devastated.
Sounds yummy, I think we need to visit you this summer so you can make me some.
Post a Comment