Wednesday, May 30, 2012

San Diego -- Coronado Island (aka The Best Day Ever!)


 I think Coronado Island is one of my favorite places ever! It is absolutely gorgeous! The bike path goes much of the way around the island and provides excellent views of the bridge, downtown San Diego, and the bay, not to mention a few small beaches. And it smells so good, everywhere! The yards were full of fragrant flowers and the smell of the sea was so fresh. Heaven!


We rode bikes for several hours in the morning, stopping to watch an armored ship go under the bridge and to play on the beach. My kids were under the impression that we were just riding bikes to figure out the best place to go to the beach, but I knew better. I loved having my kids playing and riding around me.


After our morning bike ride we grabbed lunch at Burger King (in honor of my dad) and then hit the beach in front of Hotel del Coronado.


My family loves the movie "Some Like it Hot," which was filmed in the hotel. It was fun to see the beautiful old building. While I was taking a picture of my kids in front of the hotel, an Asian family walked by. The "grandpa" of the family was taken with my 4 beautiful children. He kept counting them and touching their fair hair (Sammy especially). In the end he took a picture with them. They just sat there, trying to figure out if he was crazy and wearing plastic smiles. It totally cracked me up.




The beach was beautiful and not very crowded. We built two sand castles and ten connected them with a moat. The kids goal was to protect the castles while the tide was coming in, but they lost, after putting up a pretty good fight. The day couldn't last long enough. It felt like the hours were just slipping by and before we knew it we had to go. When I die, I'm going to relive that day over and over again.
 



In the evening we toured some old submarines and boats, including one used in the filming of "Pirates of the Caribbean." They were so beautiful and fun to walk though. I think that was Mckay's favorite part of the trip and he could have stayed forever. IN the end they had to kick us out at closing time. We hurried back to the hotel for some more pool time!
 






What a fabulous day!

1 comment:

Malesa said...

How fun! Were you there over Memorial day weekend? Phillip was there at the same time for the AAPD conference! Crazy.