Monday, April 2, 2012

Hens

 We've been wanting to get hens for a while, but finally bit the bullet about a month ago. We got an adorable hen house and found 5 hens up for adoption.


I love having them in the backyard. It's so fun to peek out there and see them scratching for food. I know it's not great for our lawn, but it's worth it.


We started out getting 2 eggs a day, but now that the weather has warmed a bit we're getting 5 a day. It's not quite enough for my family, but I only have to buy a couple dozen a week now, and that make's me happy.

The kids love going out to collect eggs, and they're even adjusting to cleaning out the coop once a week.


I haven't been giving my hens their vitamins, and apparently this squishy egg is the result. It was like an egg without a shell. Now I'm crushing up egg shells and adding it back into their food so that they have the calcium they need to make more.

When we first got the hens, we needed to move them out of our garage (we got them during a blizzard). In the process, one hen seemed to be really good at evading capture and took quit a bit of work to move. Carter is positive that some of the moves this chicken used are actually karate and has been telling anyone who will listen that one of our chickens knows karate. While  he generally has a good imagination, this time he's not making anything up. I love watching him admire our Karate Chicken.

2 comments:

Geoffrey said...

I am completely jealous of your "country life" -- Someday...

Raising Helm said...

Hahaha-Oh we are talkin' chicken talk now my friend. We must have had the same idea going on. Though your chicks are in the laying stage-we get to wait awhile longer. Isn't it so fun! now I can get all the hen pointers from you Thank you! :)Good luck and enjoy the karate feathered friends.