Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sand-bagging

Monday morning I was feeling very grateful that all this rain was making my grass grow, but feeling a little bad that it would mean flooding.
Kind of not fair for people living in the flood zone to suffer for my grass.
In our family prayer that morning I thanked Heavenly Father for the grass and asked that he would help those who would experience flooding (and I really hope this isn't me!). Of course, that meant that we got a call on Monday evening to help fill sandbags.

"God does notice us and he watches over us, but it usually through another person that he meets our needs." -- Spencer W. Kimball

I may not be very good and picking up small hints to serve, but this one was kind of hard to miss. We packed up the kids and headed over with other member of our Stake to a very fun family night. I'm glad we got to serve this time, as it feels like we are so often on the receiving end of things.

Gabe, Madelyn and Carter all had a blast pushing the sand down to the shovelers. This doesn't even look like work!

Mud, Mud, Mud!
Can anything be better for these boys?

Mckay held the bags while they were filled. This was really hard on his back, but he hung in there! I got his job after he took the little ones home. It was hard!

I tied the bags and Mads handed empty bags to the fillers.

The crew ended up doing 1000 bags in about 2 hours! They were pleasantly surprised with how many we were able to get done. It was so fun to get to know my neighbors better while working hard with them. I was especially impressed with how hard all the kids worked and how easy they made things for their parents.

Madelyn asked if that was FHE for us. We talked about theoretical FHE and then getting out and living the gospel. Both are important, we can't live something we don't know, but getting out and working will be much more memorable than the lesson on the 10 commandments we were going to have.

2 comments:

Em and Russ said...

What a great experience. Russ helped fill sandbags for our Stake, but I didn't get to go with. They just wanted the men to help. I think it is great that they got the families involved. Hope the flooding didn't cause too much damage.

Geoffrey said...

I still remember getting out of school in '83 to fill sand bags to save the mink farm in Erda. Part of the great experience was because I got out of school, but the other was because I was able to provide service to those less fortunate.

Good Job!