Sunday, May 15, 2011

Gardening or Yard work?

So, what is the difference between gardening and yard work? They're so intertwined. I figure much of it has to do with the attitude with which the work is done, so I think I've been doing a lot of gardening, except raking. That's always yard work.

The people who originally landscaped our yard put in a beautiful garden spot, but they also loaded 1/4 of the yard with gravel, in some places 6 inches deep! I hate gravel. I've been working on making paths and shoveling it to areas where it might look better, but much of each day revolves around gravel. Fortunately, it doubles well as a sandbox, but cats don't mistake it for a litter box.

Also, some previous owner thought the best way to kill an unwanted plant was to cover it with rocks or wood. Lucky for me, some of these plants just won't die! It's been so fun to find plants growing under various piles of rubble.

rhubarb, found in a pile or rocks

peonies, found under a stump

chives, growing out of the gravel

raspberries, found under a stump

mint, found under a stump

I feel like our yard has come a long way since we moved in, but there is still so much to do! Mostly, what do I do with all that gravel!?! I love working outside though, and the process of shaping the yard into something I love and can use is very rewarding.

Where we were:

Where we are now:
And hopefully some day all the green will be grass and not dandelions!

Item's removed from the yard/pond/garage:
hub caps, rims, table (being converted into a chicken coop), rocking chair, 4 dining room chairs, a spoiler, a roto-tiller, two broken refrigerators (we learned they didn't work the hard way), a broken dryer, a door, several screens, etc., etc.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Wow! It's looking great! What an adventure (and what treasures you've found). When my sister moved into her house, her 5-yr-old found a machete in the yard. You just never know what you'll find!!

Em and Russ said...

It's looking good!!!!! It's nice that you can now see into your yard. Good job!!!!!

Also, kill the mint while you have the chance. It can get carried away and invade everything REALLY fast. Put it in a pot if you want to keep it.

Russ

Raising Helm said...

I had to laugh at all your delicious treasures. how many stumps? The yard looks awesome! def. in the attitude (gardening vs yard work) sorry we didn't make it to dinner where we would have enjoyed great food, friends and a fabulous yard! keep up the good work and hopefully it won't keep you:)

Em and Russ said...

Such a difference. Now I need you to come and work on my yard! I can't wait to see your cute house one of these days.

And Russ is right about the mint. It will take over the whole yard if you aren't careful, but it is so nice walking outside and everything smelling minty fresh!

Malesa said...

They had a regular little treasure trove out there didn't they? Your yard looks awesome. All of your hard work has really paid off. Good job.