I have grown up seeing deer, moose, raccoons, etc. my whole life. Living in Utah and Idaho has afforded me opportunities to see these magnificent creatures in their domain while I remain in mine. And I love it.
A couple months ago we were driving the canyon after a significant storm that brought the herds down by the highway. In a thirty minute window we saw elk trudging through snow up to their shoulders, numerous herds of deer making their way to water and even a moose standing on a hill overlooking Deer Creek (we also saw a minivan parked in the Provo River. Oops!). Mckay mocked me the entire drive as I pointed out herd after herd to the kids like I'd never seen them before in my life. I have frequently done this on drives to and from Idaho as well.
However, I think it's a shame when people forget how amazing these creatures are and fail to see their beauty.
I most often see deer and moose while I'm running, and it's never a disappointment to realize that a deer is standing five feet away from me, but I didn't see it until it decided to bolt. Their camo is amazing! My favorite experiences have been seeing moose though. I am always amazed at how big they are.
On my run a few weeks ago I found an antler lying in the middle of the road (Mckay was concerned that it was on the side of the road and that he would have to prosecute me. It was definitely in the middle!). I brought it home for Gabe and he's been carried it around for a week.
We live in such a beautiful and diverse state, and I love everything we get to experience. Three cheers for Utah and its deer, elk and moose populations.
A couple months ago we were driving the canyon after a significant storm that brought the herds down by the highway. In a thirty minute window we saw elk trudging through snow up to their shoulders, numerous herds of deer making their way to water and even a moose standing on a hill overlooking Deer Creek (we also saw a minivan parked in the Provo River. Oops!). Mckay mocked me the entire drive as I pointed out herd after herd to the kids like I'd never seen them before in my life. I have frequently done this on drives to and from Idaho as well.
However, I think it's a shame when people forget how amazing these creatures are and fail to see their beauty.
I most often see deer and moose while I'm running, and it's never a disappointment to realize that a deer is standing five feet away from me, but I didn't see it until it decided to bolt. Their camo is amazing! My favorite experiences have been seeing moose though. I am always amazed at how big they are.
On my run a few weeks ago I found an antler lying in the middle of the road (Mckay was concerned that it was on the side of the road and that he would have to prosecute me. It was definitely in the middle!). I brought it home for Gabe and he's been carried it around for a week.
We live in such a beautiful and diverse state, and I love everything we get to experience. Three cheers for Utah and its deer, elk and moose populations.
3 comments:
I love seeing wildlife too! We don't have much of it in Yakima, but every time I go to Paradise, I'm pointing out deer and turkeys and squirrels (we don't have squirrels in Yakima). Matt and Kristal just laugh at me. The excitement is no longer there for them.
I don't get out enough to see the wildlife...does Maximus the horse count? No really, I think your post about the grandeur of God's creations is perfectly wonderful. We are lucky to live here. Who would have guessed it?
That is so awesome! beautiful for sure. You move a few extra niutes away and it is like you are in a whole diff world. I do admit I am a little concerned, afraid for your life...don't be bumpin' into any of those huge animals. :)
Post a Comment