Monday, February 21, 2011

2010 Highlights

This is mostly for my records, but there are a few winners from Carter nestled in there too if you have time to read.

Jan 18 --Sammy was singing with us in church yesterday! It was so cute, until he decided to throw the hymn book

Jan 19 -- Madelyn's birthday!
We're all ready to open presents but Madelyn wants to finish her homework first. It fits!

Jan 23 --
We went sledding this afternoon at Grandma and Grandpa's house. I love playing in the snow, once we finally get out the door.

Jan 26 --
Madelyn came home with an assignment for me to blow up 50 balloons by tomorrow. I foresee a headache and some happy children this evening. Follow up : Bicycle pumps work great for blowing up balloons. No headache, but still fun for the kids!

Feb 4--
While cooking breakfast this morning I pulled the flour down. Somehow the lid came off the bucket and flour ended up all over the kitchen, but mostly it just dumped right on my head! Madelyn said I looked like Jack Frost. I don't think I'll ever get it all cleaned up!

Feb 6 --
What a fabulous day! Madelyn was baptized and received the Holy Ghost. She is so prepared and so sweet. It was also fun to have so many family members to share the day with.

Feb 13 --
Twelve miles, in the canyon, in a blizzard. I think that's enough for one day.

Feb 16 --
I put hard-soled shoes on Sam for the first time today and he's had to learn to walk all over again! It's so funny watching him take great big steps and try to balance with soles on his feet.

Feb 17 --
Sammy thinks the dog door is his personal door to the backyard. Today he got his arms pinned to his side while he was wiggling through. He see-sawed right onto his face, and was stuck. I pulled him out to find that his two Mater-teeth had punctured little holes in his lip. He's going to look very pouty for a day or two.

Feb 26 --
If anyone is planning on joining my family for a meal, you ought to be advised of our newest family rule: You must be wearing underwear to join to family for a meal; no nakedness at the table. You have been warned.

Feb 27 --
I was picking up my bedroom and almost picked up a REAL LIVE (before it was dead) FISH HEAD!!! I almost wet my pants.

Mar 4 --
Most embarrassing moment! Carter locked my mom and me in his room (the doorknob has been turned around) and I had to call my neighbor/home teacher to let us out. The text message read: Are you home? I'm locked in my house and need help getting out.

Mar 8 --
I cooked from my garden for the first time this year! My chives are growing and beautiful and I couldn't help but marinade the chicken with some fresh chives and top our baked potatoes. I can't wait until there's more to harvest!

Mar 9 --
Woke up to a dead bird on the living room floor and feathers all over. Boy (the cat) apparently thinks he's a killer and he has to toy with his dinner in the house. What is it with dead animals in my house!?!

Mar 18 --
Our leprechaun made it in the end! He must have left candy in the kids drawers yesterday and they just didn't notice until this morning. I'd hate to think that he put it off until after they were in bed last night!

Mar 25 --
Carter wanted to go potty outside, but I told him we do that inside. The next thing I know he's standing just inside the door, peeing on the patio! I guess I need to be more specific next time. At least it wasn't the living room floor!

Apr 11 --
Back from Bryce Canyon and it was awesome! My kids were little mountain goats, climbing through slot canyons and even lowering themselves down with ropes. I can't wait to go back for Girls' Camp!

Apr 25 --
What an uplifting weekend! It felt like a beautiful missionary farewell, which is exactly how Grandpa's funeral should be.

May 10 --
Madelyn is helping me cut vegetables for dinner and is cutting the tomatoes in a rather interesting way. I'm having a hard time holding my tongue. I'm sure they'll taste good no matter what.

May 15 --
In the past five minutes: Gabe broke a window, Sam and Carter crashed into each other (both think they're going to die), Sam got a bloody nose (separate incident), and someone called to test drive the van. Stake Conference is probably going to be awesome tonight because something is trying to keep us from getting there!

May 19 --
Gabe is seven today! He is such a great kid and there are so many reasons Iove him, but mostly because he's mine and he's special. Happy Birthday Buddy. I love you.

May 21 --
I spent the morning helping out with Field Day for Mads and Gabe. It was a blast! But I have a whole new respect for their teachers; I don't think I'll be able to speak for a week.

May 22 --
Madelyn performed "Go Tell Aunt Rhody" for the ward talent show on her cello. It was her first performance and she did a beautiful job!

June 14 --
Mckay bought a car for us while I was out of town. I didn't get to see it first, but trusted Mcaky and he did a great job! I love that my family can all fit in one car!

June 22 -- Waiting for election results from Wasatch County. My husband's job is on the line! Elections have never before been so important to me! Follow up: We won! Mckay is officially employed for a few more years.

July 25 --
There is nothing like trying to scrub Black's Fork dirt off my children. I think the kids (and the tub) are permanently stained.

Aug 13 --
Happy Birthday, Mckay! There's nothing like an afternoon at the pool. Does school really have to start again? I guess I could always home school. . . Nah.

Aug 25 --
Back to school is so bittersweet. However, I didn't cry this year! First time in four years, so I'm pretty proud of myself.

Aug 26 --
Carter just finished his preschool testing. When asked to draw a picture of a boy he drew an anatomically correct stick figure and handed it to the teachers saying, "Boys have pieners." She's going to love him!

Sept 14 --
Gabe's first flag football game tonight. He completed a pass as the QB and when he kicked off after a touchdown he also ran to the other end of the field and pulled the flag. Nice work bud!

Sept 15 --
I'm pretty sure that my sticky mousetrap caught a mouse, who dragged the trap under the counter, and is now screaming as it slowly dies! Ahhhh!

Sept 18 --
I just finished a horseback ride with the YW in my ward. It was long and exhausting, but totally worth it! I love that my YW are willing to try new things and get out and have fun.

Sept 21 --
Mid-way through FHE Gabe flicked a booger onto one of the couch pillows that was on the floor. I think he was trying to be inconspicuous, but it didn't work. We all screamed until he cleaned it up. He keeps us laughing!

Sept 27 --
Sammy calls Gabe "Bike," but gets frustrated if I do. He keeps saying, "No! Bike!" until I finally say Gabe. Kids are fun.

Sept 29 --
Gabe intercepted the ball at flag football and then ran it in for a touchdown on the next play. He's been smiling all evening, and so have his proud parents. Plus we got to celebrate with ice cream.

Oct 3 --
Carter kept wanting to see "our prophet" while we were watching conference. What a blessing to have a prophet, and how great to hear from him!

Nine stitches in my head. Just what I wanted to do after conference.


Oct 10 -- Just got back from the ER. Mckay has been vomiting blood from what appears to be bleeding ulcers. He avoided a blood transfusion and should be scoped and hopefully taken care of come morning. Pray for him!

Oct 13 --
Mckay's doing great! no word on when he'll come home yet. We're hoping for tomorrow but one of the doctors isn't sure.

Oct 20 --
The good news is that we saved a diaper. The bad news is that after pooping on the floor Sam tried to drive a car over/through it.

Oct 27 --
"Walking (running) in a winter wonderland..." And it was gorgeous! The cemetery, the canals, the trees, the lawns, etc., etc.

Oct 29 --
My Avatar warriors look great, and I'm getting pretty mediocre at this makeup stuff. That's a HUUUUGE improvement from last year.

Oct 31 --
A dead quail on the floor of my boys room. So fun.

Nov 2 --
Another dead bird in the boys room! I can't take it anymore!!!

Nov 12 --
Gabe spent all morning frustrated over his lost shoes. I just put something away in his closet and there they were. No wonder he couldn't find them, they were where they belong!

Nov 15 --
The kids always wave out the window to Mckay as he leaves for work. Today he threw snowballs at them and I love how they dodged as the balls hit the window.

Nov 18 --
Carter just threw up in Madelyn's classroom. He didn't give me any warning which means the carpet may smell for awhile. Mrs. Johnson is never going to want me back! If he isn't coloring the grout, then he's getting sick. There's always something!

Nov 22 --
Sammy now says "awesome," but he always chuckles when he says it, which makes is sound more like, "ha-ha-ha-ha-some."

Nov 24 --
Gabe recently remarked that Carter has cute nipples in his cheeks. I love it when kids try out new words, wrong. (He meant dimples)

Dec 4 --
Carter kept calling the Bishop "Pres. Monson" while we were at tithing settlement. Cute kid!

Dec 5 --
Cut down a Christmas tree from the mountains for the first time and we had a blast! No snowshoes and snow to our waists made things difficult, but we all had a blast. Now I just wish we could put it up!

Dec 9 --
To whomever put the bottle of wood glue in the laundry basket, sans lid. You're dead meat!

Dec 11 -- We moved! We're homeowners! It's a dream come true!

Dec 21 --
Wow! Over an hour shoveling and I'm still not done. I guess that's the price you pay to have a beautiful winter. It's worth it. What wasn't worth it was coming in the house to a naked baby, poop on the floor, and marker on the couch, entertainment center, rocking chair, floor, and Sam. AHHHHH!

Dec 25 --
The day started at 5:30. Not because the kids were so excited they couldn't sleep, but because Carter wet the bed he was sharing with Mads and Gabe. The commotion woke up Sammy and thus the day began. Merry Christmas!

Dec 27 --
Running in Heber is cold, but it's wonderful! This morning I saw deer and had a great view of the valley with the mountains around us. Plus I loved the roosters crowing in the background. It's heaven!

Dec 28 --
Gabe has been wearing the same clothes since Christmas. He did take them off briefly so they could be washed, but put them back on hot out of the dryer. This takes me back 5 years when he wore the same clothes for a year. We had to take them off at night (while he was sleeping) to wash them.

Dec 30 --
Mckay fixed the furnace! Life is so consistently warm now. Next project: The kitchen faucet that doesn't turn off. (I'm not talking about a drip. It flows freely unless you force it just right, using two hands)

1 comment:

Malesa said...

I just read that entire list and absolutely loved it! I love your family! I love how you find joy in everything.