Before we left on Wednesday morning Daniel opened his mission call. He's going to the South Africa Johannesburg Mission and leaves on August 19. What a cool call!
Bryce Canyon
On Thursday my big kids hiked over 7 miles and Carter hiked 4 miles. I also carried Sammy 4 miles, which I think shows how tough I am. We loved looking at the Hoodoos and beautiful vistas. Bryce Canyon is a gorgeous place!
Who knew he was just tired of cheese?
Mossy Cave
Mossy Cave is just outside Bryce Canyon and should be called Icy Cave this time of year. It was amazing how much ice builds up there throughout the year. My kids and Emily were totally crazy and decided to wade through the water, even though it was only 50 degrees! They had a blast until their legs started chaffing and they still had to walk back to the car (at least that was only half a mile!). It's a good thing that they're tough! I could tell that Gabriel was in pain by the interesting straggle legged walk he was doing, but he didn't complain at all.
Hackberry Creek Slot Canyon
I was not to the crack yet when my dad took Sammy in, but I think something traumatizing must have happened. Everyone says it was okay, but whenever we had to lower him after that he would start whimpering. He only wanted his mom after, which means I carried him another four miles on my back.
Madelyn and Emily went the furthest down the creek and then were the first ones out. I wish I could have been there because that means that Madelyn used all the ropes and climbed out of the hole by herself. She is one strong chica!
Hole In The Rock
I enjoyed hiking the crack, even prodding Carter down the hole and carrying Sammy up, but the 5 hours of riding on a dirt rode to get there and back and the 6 hour trip home were more than enough for one day.
Of course, it did give me more of an appreciation for the poor pioneers who had to cross that miserable landscape during the Winter and then lower their families and all their worldly possessions through that little crack in the rocks. They must have been strong, faithful people.
3 comments:
What a cool Spring Break adventure. Looks awesome!
How fun! What a beautiful area to be in. However, it looked really cold to me. You kids are so amazing.
Okay that is crazy! you are one heck of a chica- no wonder Madelyn is so tough. Girls camp? Hmmm to go or not to go? Well if Ashley is going to drag me through a hole and carry me four miles? Maybe. ha ha ha- you are amazing! Looked like you had fun and congrats to the awesome mission call.
Post a Comment