Friday, May 8, 2009

Lactose Intolerance to the Max

Carter had a great visit to Primary Children's Medical Center on Tuesday and had no idea the extent to which he was violated. All he knows is that they let him color and smell something yummy. Then he woke up and got his very own can of 7-Up and a bag of potato chips. Truly a dream day for a two-year-old.

The morning without food went pretty well, mostly because Carter went to court with Mckay in Park City. That wasn't suppossed to happen, but it did anyway. Poor Mckay! The judge was a jerk, everything took extra long, and Carter kept having diarrhea in the courtroom. Actually, he's not the first member of our family to have that problem (I bet I get in trouble for writing that). At one point someone asked, "Does he have a diaper on?" Oops, I knew I for got something this morning!

Carter loved going to work with Mckay and really wants to do it again.

Anyway, Carter is officially as Lactose Intolerant as they come. The normal digestive enzyme count for Lactose is 24, but Carter is at a 3. With his levels so low, he can have nothing dairy and will probably live with this his whole life. This means no pancakes with milk in them, no bread and butter (or plain bread for that matter), no goldfish crackers, no dipping chicken nuggets in ranch dressing, no pizza, etc., etc.

We obviously have somethings to learn here, so please let me know if you're dealing with something similar.

4 comments:

JJLanier said...

I'll be thinking of you Ashlie. I have nothing to complain about when I have a hard time choosing a meal for my family without allergies. Is this something he was born with?
Good luck!

Amy B. Jones said...

Oh wow! Talk to Carene Battaglia. Chase can't have lactose or wheat. Complicated! Good luck!

Malesa said...

Wow! I'm sorry. That stinketh to the maxeth. When I tried to cut all dairy out after Aubrey was born it was HARD, HARD, HARD. We ate a lot of chicken noodle soup and salmon for dinner. Maybe I can go back through some of my recipes and send some to you. :)
Good luck

Lynette said...

Oh man, that's really crazy about Carter! If you need any milk-free recipes my sister-in-law is allergic to everything and gave us a lot of recipes without milk. One of the recipes is a dairy free sugar cookie recipe and they are seriously the best sugar cookies I've ever had!!!

P.S. I am so sorry I couldn't go running yesterday and I was so looking forward to it; the night before was sooooo crazy with Roxy in heat and Brooklyn got up three times...by the time the alarm went off I said NO WAY.

P.S.S. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!