Thursday, April 9, 2009

Puppy Love

It's a little crazy, but we decided our 1200 sq. foot house wasn't crowded enough, so we added a Beagle. I know it's silly, but it seems like Rosie was born to be a part of our family. Rosie is a year and a half and had been strictly an outside dog with her previous owners, so she's very happy to spend some time in the house. We're crate training her, which is the best thing ever. I think I'm going to crate train Carter once I'm done with Rosie. Rosie has a kennel in the house where she sleeps. I also put her there when I can't supervise her, that way she won't pee all over the house. When I let her out of the kennel we go straight outside so she can relieve herself and then be in the house for a bit. This also helps prevent destructive behaviors (another plus for Carter). This way I can put her in while I go grocery shopping and not worry about my house or her getting out of the yard.

Think of the possibilities with two-year-olds! If I don't want to take Carter shopping with me, I just put him in a kennel. Then he can't open the door for strangers or write on the walls. I can also put him in when I just don't want him underfoot. Plus, he would get a treat every time he goes in, so he's happy too.

I wonder if crate traing Carter would help with potty training? Probably not since Carter has no qualms with soiling his sleeping area.

The best part about Rosie is that she can run with me. I think I'm a little slow for her, but she tolerates me anyway. I've had a hard time finding a running partner, but with Rosie I still feel safe. She's not the conversationalist that some of my running partners have been, but I'll take what I can get.

3 comments:

Em and Russ said...

Such a cute puppy! I think that crate training would work great on Carter. I'm thinking that I should try it on Mirian. It is never to early to start, right? Love you guys!

Sofia Dowse said...

How fun!! We hope to have dogs some day, but definitely not now in our tiny apt. How are you?

Amy B. Jones said...

That new pic of Sammy on your page is so freaking cute! I miss you guys!