Monday, October 6, 2008

The Face of an Angel?



I think I'm being humbled because I chuckled after reading that my friend lost her child twice in one day and had to call the police both times before he was found.

Friday I was fixing lunch while Carter played in my bedroom. When lunch was ready I went to my room to get him, only to find the sliding door to the backyard open. Not a big deal, right? I went to the backyard to find him, only to discover that I had left the gate to the front yard open and Carter and his tricycle were missing. I frantically searched the house to make sure he and the bike weren't inside somewhere (which took about 20 seconds due to the luxurious size of our home).

None of our neighbors were home and his bike wasn't parked in front of any homes in the cul-de-sac. Gabriel and I climbed in the car and started driving around the block, during which time I called the police.

I then drove to the elementary school, where a blessed woman flagged me down and told me she thought my son was in the school. At that moment my phone rang; it was one of the secretaries letting me know she had my child. I quickly dialed 911 again to let them know not to come, and then Gabe and I ran into the school to find Carter.

My sweet little boy was sitting in the office, surrounded by familiar faces, coloring away. He had crossed the street and been found by one of the recess duty guard who took him to the office. One of the kindergarten teachers recognized him as mine.

I was wiped out by the adventure, but Carter loved it. I kept trying to tell him that he couldn't ride his bike to the school, but he just kept telling me that he rode his bike fast. He is no longer allowed to be unsupervised for any period of time.

I love the terrific twos!

3 comments:

JJLanier said...

That must have been awful, Ashley! I'm glad Carter was safe. If my kids wonder off I'm afraid they'll be eaten by a wild animal or lost in the trees.

Malesa said...

That cracks me up! I'm glad that all is well and that he is safe.

Meighan said...

That is the the most hilarious story (okay, totally scary and nerve wracking, but hilarious). I'm glad Carter was safe and in good hands. Isn't it amazing how quickly these little people can find (or create) trouble!