Thursday, January 16, 2014

Independence Day

Isn't being an American great? With all the griping we do about our country and our government, at least we have the right to gripe. We have so many freedoms and are so much safer than most countries in the world. I love this country so much. And even if I don't love politics, I still get to celebrate the 4th of July!


This year we attended the Park City parade, which kind of cracks me up. It is definitely not Mormontown, UT. Several of the floats were for beer companies, and (surprise, surprise) most of the people on their floats were drunk. Many entries were encouraging us to save the earth (which is a marvelous thing), but I always have to laugh at the way the Park City-ites do things. We definitely come from different sides of the tracks. 

But with all that, we spent the morning in our newly tie-dyes shirts, sitting in the sun with our friends, the Cranes. We laughed at the crazies and saluted the flag and had a rockin' good time. 



After a lunch of KFC (my favorite part of the day) we headed to the high school and went ice blocking. I think they used to make ice blocks bigger than they do now! The kids had a blast, and Mckay was able to shove a bunch together for his ride down the hill. 


We were so hot and tired on our way home, that we decided to swing past the rope swing in the canal. I've seen the swing many times, but we've never given it a try before. We weren't dressed for the occasion, but almost everyone went in anyway. They had a blast playing in the mud and cooling down. 



 The Homestead does a celebration each year, so we headed up there in the late afternoon. The kids did hula hoops, sack races, tug-of-war, and several other games, while the adults sat in the shade and visited. It was marvelous. 


We stopped to watch the fireworks over Memorial Hill on our way home, and then finished the evening doing our own fireworks. It was such a full day, but totally a blast. I love this crazy family that I get to spend so much time with!


No comments: