Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Viva Las Vegas!!

I don't "do Vegas" like the way an average person does, but I still look forward to my yearly girls weekend.

It always falls on the weekend of the MWC Basketball tournament, but we never make it to a game (darn it!).

The Saturday before St. Patrick's Day my mom and I always head to Sin City to run the 6 Tunnels to Hoover Dam Half Marathon.

This awesome race takes us through six old railroad tunnels which have been converted to a running path. The weather is warm, the sun is shining, and it's a great reason to run all winter. Plus, a weekend away is priceless.


We ran in the ties and then stashed the hats near the finish line so that we could put them on at the end. You should see what people wear in this race! There are always ties, hats, skirts, etc.; and everyone is wearing green.

At the starting line there is a bagpiper, and the goal is to "beat the leprechaun." Unfortunately, leprechauns tend to run much faster than I do.
After the race we took Sofi to see the Hoover Dam and the fountains at the Bellagio. It was a blast!
I though my boys would love the star troopers roaming the streets. We also saw several Disney characters, the Mad Hatter, and tourists wearing only bikinis (who does that?). Only in Vegas!

In the end. . .
the only gamble I took was running on an injured knee
the only money I lost was twenty bucks that fell out of my wallet (so frustrating!)
the only bet I made was that BYU would win (they did!)
the only thing I won was a finishers medal
and the only sinning I did was a comment I made about a "Fresh and Easy" grocery store (I was curious about the business type. It is Vegas!)

No comments: