Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Skate Park, Grandma, and Horses

On a rainy day a few weeks ago we walked to the skate park. Little did I realize what great slides the wet ramps make. Carter and Sam splashed and played until Mckay and I were too cold to stay any longer. The timing coincided with Carter having no seat left in his shorts.

Once a week I go to my Grandma's house and help her with projects. She is the busiest woman I have ever met and she is always putting together a book on someone and organizing something. Last week she had me re-do a flower arrangement from Grandpa's funeral. She may be the only person who has that kind of confidence in me. There was a reason I didn't go into floral arranging and there's a reason no one has ever told me I missed my calling in life. However, she was very please with the result and even shed a few tears, which I think was a good thing.

We went outside to hang the flowers up at which time she offered Sammy a ride on her walker. He hopped right up and she pushed him all around the driveway. While Grandma has the potential to live forever, there's a chance that Sam won't really remember her, but I' feel blessed to have memories of Grandma loving my children and enjoying them like they were her own.

Last Friday I finally had an afternoon to pull my house and my life back together after a busy week. I was about to head home from my parent's house and get to work when my dad suggested that I join my parents on a horseback ride. Considering the weather was in the 70's and it was November, I figured this may be my last chance for awhile so I scrapped the housework and took Sammy on a ride. He tried to nap as we rode, which was a bit difficult. My dad took a few turns holding him and I loved this shot of Sam sleeping on my dad's shoulder. As fun as the ride was, Sam was a grouch for the rest of the day, but it was still worth it.

5 comments:

Geoffrey said...

What a fun time! I know how you feel about grandparents memories for your kids. I was lucky to know some of my great grandparents and have very fond memories of them. One of my grandparents died while I was in Jr. High, his wife, after Becca was about a year old. On the other side of my family, my grandpa was in a home the last few years of his life, and not the same hard-working grandpa I had grown up with. We try and spend as much time as we can with the remaining Grandma, so maybe Emily & Gracie will have at least some memories of her. I think the pictures and stories help a ton. They can jog a memory that we think we have forgotten.

Amy B. Jones said...

Cute Sammy!

Karma said...

I love that your grandma gave Sammy a ride on her walker!! I love watching my grandparents or parents love my children :) Of course you were right to choose the horse ride; housework will always be there!

Raising Helm said...

Never thought the skate park could bring as much wet entertainment, Sweet! I think your parents have to be pretty awesome to just get out and ride...Sounds very pleasant, though holding a wee one and controling a large animal seems a bit of a arm tiring jugle, but if anyone could do it-you guys can. Your so ambitious! I love the family pictures on the side. Look how those kiddos have grown, and your hair :) adorable!

Raising Helm said...

Yea, it is me again. I just had to tell you how funny your comments were on my posts. You crack me up. We will just stick with
"with child"-Thanks for the definitions. I would volunteer our tree to you guys but who knows how much longer you will be around. Goodness-tear tear