Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Best Books of 2009

It's kind of hard to choose my favorite, so everyone should just read them all. They're all very different but fun for different reasons. I absolutely love history and Katherine, Guernsey, and Harry Truman filled that need.

Katherine was also a great love story and had a fabulous ending, which I guess is one of the conveniences of historical fiction. Ditto for Guernsey, but I hated to finish reading because that meant saying goodbye to my new best friends! (If anyone wants to take me on a vacation to Guernsey, I'm ready. Give me a call and I'll pack my bags!)

Harry Truman was a great American Adventure, full of history and views of the mid-1900's. It just swept me away.

Left to Tell was recent history, which made it more poignant and was also an incredibly spiritual book. I some day hope to be as spiritual as Imaculee, but I don't want to endure the things she did, so I guess I'm out of luck.

Peace like a River was pure fiction, but definitely not not fluff. It was full of turmoil, but was so peaceful the whole time. I still can't figure out how the author pulled it off.

Fortunately I haven't done much reading this year, otherwise the list would be much longer. Maybe when Samuel starts kindergarten I'll be able to read again. Or maybe this moderation is good for me. I don't like moderation though. I think I'll quit cleaning my house all together and just read. Do you think Carter would mind? I'm sure not.

What books did you love this year? I'd love to read some great books in 2010 too.

2 comments:

Jourdan said...

Good ones! I was just about to post my book reviews too... including Left to Tell.

let's go to GUERNSEY!

And, I'm checking out Katherine ASAP.

Karma said...

I love your books - LOVED many of the ones you did and can't wait to read the others!! You really need to read Born to Run (the one Scott gave me for our anniversary) - I can't put it down!!! You should also read The Hiding Place, The Cellist of Sarajevo, and Three Cups of Tea. Those are some of my favorites from 2009!! Love you and miss you already! I do think swapping house cleaning for reading is a wonderful idea!!